Practical HR Solutions
Questions for Your Consideration:
- Critical Policy and Procedure Updates: Have your HR policies, procedures, and practices been updated to reflect the many recent changes in employment-related legislation?
- Objective Selection Tools: Do you have appropriately-designed selection tools (e.g. interview questionnaires, skills tests, etc.) in place to ensure objective, non-discriminatory, and competency-based selection of job or promotion candidates?
- Fair and Sustainable Compensation: Do you have a proper compensation plan in place and if so, is it equitable, competitive, and sustainable?
- Dealing with Difficult Employee Cases: Are you seeking assistance and support in dealing with a sensitive and/or difficult employee situation involving issues of poor or deteriorating performance, uncertain ability to work, behavioral concerns, interpersonal and relational difficulties, non-compliance of policies, mental health concerns, or other concerns?
- Discipline and Termination: Are you seeking assistance and support in employee discipline or termination?
- Outplacement Support: Do you want to ensure that a terminated or laid off employee receive proper outplacement support?
- Interim HR Support: Are you experiencing a temporary void of HR leadership or shortage of HR staff and would welcome some interim HR support?
If you answer YES to any of the above, we can help you!
Our HR associates and affiliates can assist you in developing practical HR solutions, policies, and practices that are customized to address the specific needs of your operation and workforce. Each of our HR associates and affiliates is a seasoned HR professional with extensive experience and expertise in their respective HR areas of service. In addition, all of our HR associates and affiliates also have HR generalist experience, with the capacity to assist you in all primary functions of human resources management. As well, Insight maintains an active roster of highly experienced employment, human rights, and privacy lawyers who can provide legal assistance to our clients when needed.
Let us help and support you. Read about the services we offer below and contact us today.
Our associates can assist you in auditing your existing HR policies and procedures to determine:
- Presence of policies and procedures that address the essential and legislated terms of employment, safety, rights, and accountability.
- Compliance with employment, human rights, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation, election, and privacy legislation.
- Non-legislated conduct, risk, and accountability guidelines such as codes of conduct, conflict of interest, performance evaluation, disciplinary processes, etc.
- Description and application of key provisions such as compensation, expense management, benefits, leaves of absence, etc.
Upon the completion of audit, our associates can assist you in developing practical policies, procedures, and practices that are not simply in compliance with related legislation, but reflective of your organizational values, the culture and environment you want to create as well as clarity in expectations and accountability.
Our associates can support you in all or any one of the following services. We can also train your managers or designated personnel on the full recruitment and selection process or on any of the functions below:
- Developing job descriptions and postings
- Sourcing and shortlisting candidates
- Conducting appropriate skills/aptitude/personality assessments with candidates
- Developing position-tailored, objective, competency-based interview questionnaires
- Interviewing and assessing candidates with you and/or your designated personnel
- Conducting reference checks for all potential hires
- Assisting you with the development of the offer package
Having an attractive, externally competitive, and internally equitable compensation plan in place can contribute significantly to the retention of good employees. However, evaluating, designing, and developing the different elements of compensation and reward can be challenging for organizations without in-house expertise to do so. Our associates with expertise in this domain can support you in all or any one of the following services:
- Assessing of your current compensation and reward plan
- Designing and developing a tailored compensation and reward plan
- Developing your compensation philosophy
- Developing a job evaluation tool with appropriate compensable factors, grading, and descriptions
- Completing internal job evaluations
- Conducting salary and benefit surveys, market research, and competitiveness analysis
- Developing base-pay structure(s) and position assignments
- Designing and developing performance and retention incentives that are tailored to the organization’s goals, needs, and capabilities.
- Establishing or renewing group benefit plans or other supplementary provisions
One of the most time-consuming and mentally-taxing management responsibility is dealing with sensitive and/or difficult employee situations. Such situations may include but not limited to:
- Depression, anxiety or other psychological health concerns affecting the employees’ personal and work life
- Addiction issues
- Poor or deteriorating performance and/or attendance
- Employee’s uncertain ability to continue working
- Behavioral concerns
- Interpersonal and relational difficulties
- Discrimination and/or harassment and bullying concerns
- Domestic abuse or other personal crises impacting the employee’s well-being and/or work
- Life-changing illness or injury
In such situations, our associates and therapists can support you and your employees in various manners though assistance and strategies will vary depending on the specific nature of the situation. For example, an associate or therapist can provide assistance and guidance to the employer on how to best support an employee that is experiencing a mental health concern and/or the type of tests that may be needed to assess a psychological or cognitive injury claim. A therapist and associate can also assess and work directly with an employee in one-on-one coaching and/or counselling sessions to deal with issues that may be affecting their performance or relationships and/or to develop abilities and competencies that could improve their performance. In situations involving discrimination and/or harassment, an associate can assist the employer in reviewing and properly investigating a harassment or discrimination complaint.
Ultimately, our team is here to assist you in dealing with delicate and/or difficult employee situations in a sensitive, objective, and legally-informed manner. Such action could reassure employees of their employer’s intent and effort to investigate and address their concerns in a professional, considerate, and fair manner. This in turn could mean the difference between satisfactory resolution and costly legal or other follow-up actions.
Discipline: An employer may choose to pursue disciplinary and corrective actions to address certain employee situations such as unsatisfactory performance or conduct that is in violation of the organization’s policies. In such circumstances, our associates can assist you in reviewing the situation and ensuring the presence of:
- proper documentations,
- feedback and efforts to rectify the concerns prior to the pursuit of disciplinary action,
- proper preparations for the disciplinary process, and
- effective follow-up activities and timelines, including resolution and closure of the case.
Proper documentation and diligent preparation to facilitate a fair and effective disciplinary action would be essential in ensuring that an employer’s decisions and actions: 1) can stand against legal or other form of scrutiny and 2) provide reasonable opportunities and means for the employee to rectify the concerns.
Termination: When disciplinary actions fail to bring about the desired corrective outcomes, an employer may consider if and when to terminate an employee. In such circumstances, our associates can assist you in reviewing the situation and considering options that would include termination. Should termination be your final decision, our associate can assist you in:
- Determining severance and/or notice where applicable,
- Arranging for legal counsel where appropriate to do so,
- Preparing the termination notice or letter, release as well as check-list of items and actions to be completed,
- Supporting you and/or your designated personnel before and during the termination meeting, and
- Debriefing after the termination.
Outplacement: You may also choose to provide outplacement services to support the employee in their transition. Such services can be tailored and can include:
- life/Career transition counselling,
- assessment of one’s goals and vocational aptitude,
- development of a transition plan,
- job search preparation and assistance, and
- other applicable services.
Ultimately, the aim of our assistance is to support you in facilitating a fair, considerate, and dignified exit for the employee. Ensuring that the employee leaves feeling that they have been:
- treated with fairness, consideration, dignity, and
- provided with proper support to deal with the termination and to transition into a new beginning,
is important not only for a satisfactory closure of the case but for mitigating the risk of the termination being legally deemed as improper and wrongful.
You may be experiencing a temporary void of HR leadership or shortage of HR staff due to an exit, leave, or other reasons. In such a circumstance, you may need some interim HR professional or management support to ensure that essential HR services and activities are not disrupted. Our seasoned HR associates, majority of whom have been in HR management capacity, can serve as your HR professional, manager, or team until such time that the vacancy or shortage is filled. We can certainly also assist you in the recruitment and selection of your new HR leader or professional.