Support for Job Loss & Other Major Life Changes
Almost all of your employees/members will go through some form of major life changes throughout their life. These may include but not limited to:
- Starting a new job or transitioning to a new position
- Getting married
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Marital/relationship breakup
- Death of spouse/life partner, child, or other loved ones
- Major illness or injury
- Significant conflict or problem at work, school, home, or with family or friend
- Loss of employment and/or change of career/job
- Significant financial loss
- Change of residence
- Going through menopause
Adjusting to major changes or disruptions in one’s life, both positive and negative, can be difficult and can bring about anxiety, stress, and depending on the change, also depression and/or trauma. Research has shown that the accumulation of a high number of major life changes within a short period of time (such as a year or two) is related to the manifestation of various physical and mental health problems as many will experience some degree of difficulty adjusting to one or more of these changes. This in turn can result in lower productivity, higher absenteeism or disability leave, and increased turnover.
Insight’s grief, loss, and transition therapists can help your employees/members to deal with the changes, through the following support and care.
Job Loss and Career Transition Support
A job loss can be devastating for an employee/member. Their adjustment becomes even more difficult when they feel loss, have not future prospects, and not sure how to move forward. Being in such a state for a period of time will likely increase one’s sense of anxiety, depression, anger, and overall despair.
Our therapists and job transition specialists can help your employee/member in the following manners:
- Counselling/Therapy – Help the employee/member work through and cope with their grief, loss, and transition from the job loss
- Vocational/Aptitude Assessment – Help the employee/member explore options for a new career, profession, and/or specific jobs by assessing the employee’s/member’s interest and aptitude for different types of tasks and professions.
- Career/Job Change Preparation – Work with the employee/member to consider and refine their options for viable new employment or career, make preparations for employment/career change, as well as establish a plan of action on how to best move forward to successfully attain new employment or career.
Other Major Life Transition Support
Our therapists can help your employee/member in the following manners:
- Individual Grief and Life Transition Counselling – Help the employees/members work through and cope with their grief, loss, and adjusting to the major changes in their lives.
- Group Support for Grief and Life Transition – Each group is issue specific (e.g. post-partum difficulties, loss of a spouse, job loss, etc.) and focused on providing social support from peers going through the same life change, learning coping skills to deal with the major life change, exploring community resources that they can access, gaining resiliency, and adjusting to the new state of life.