Harassment, Bullying & Violence
HOW WE CAN HELP:
- WORKPLACE PSYCHOLOGICAL SAFETY SUPPORT PROGRAM
This program provides employers with a channel to allow their employees who have experienced or witnessed harassment, bullying, abuse, discrimination, and/or psychologically unsafe/toxic conducts to register their concern and seek support in a safe and objective setting outside of work (if they feel that they are unable to do so at work). The aim of the program is to help employers:
- Pro-actively and effectively address the employee’s concerns BEFORE the situation deteriorates to a state where the employee feels a need to file a formal OH&S complaint and/or human rights complaint.
- Develop and administer (or review on the employer’s behalf, if a WCB claim has been filed) a psychological injury evaluation, treatment, and accommodation plan to ensure that the employee’s psychological condition is being attended to in an objective, prompt, and effective manner.
Group or individual training for managers and employees on understanding and preventing workplace harassment, bullying, and violence as well as on reintegrating employees back to work after an inconclusive harassment investigation. Customization for specific industry, work settings, or targeted areas in harassment and bullying can often be accommodated.
- CASE CONSULT
Consultation, intervention and support for managers dealing with concerns or cases involving harassment, abuse, and/or bullying.
- COMPLAINT INVESTIGATION
Objective investigation and resolution of harassment/bullying complaints.
- COMPLIANCE AUDIT & POLICY DEVELOPMENT
Harassment policy and practices review, compliance audit as well as policy and prevention strategy development.
- INDIVIDUAL THERAPY & SUPPORT
Individual therapy and recovery support for employees who have experienced and/or been traumatized by harassment, bullying, abuse, and violence in their personal or work life.
OUR PEOPLE, YOUR ADVANTAGE
Services in this domain are facilitated by experts in the field and seasoned clinicians, with significant experience helping employers deal with harassment and bullying issues/cases as well as working with impacted individuals in their repair, recovery, and restoration process. Insight also maintains an active roster of highly experienced employment and human rights lawyers who can provide legal assistance to you when needed.
For service and support contact us today.
Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety legislation as well as those of most other jurisdictions have identified harassment (which includes bullying) and violence as safety hazards and harm from which employers must protect their employees. Alberta WCB also recognizes work-related stress, trauma, and other psychological injuries as eligible for presumptive coverage.
Legislation aside, workplace harassment, bullying, and violence can stem from, and more importantly can result in detrimental and long-term psychological effects as well as other serious physical harm for all parties impacted, be they the receiver, witness/bystander, or the perpetrator of the harassment, bullying, and violence. Key statistics include the following:
- The Canadian Mental Health Commission of Canada found that close to 50% of harassed and bullied employees experience mental health issues that would result in them being absent frequently and eventually making disability claims. These include but not limited to trauma, depression, and anxiety. Mental health problems in turn account for approximately 30% of short and long-term disability claims and are rated one of the top three drivers of claims by more than 80% of Canadian employers.
- One study suggests that 35% of employees said they have been bullied at work and 17% quit their jobs because of bullying. Another study suggests that 15% have witnessed bullying, and 45% of people bullied suffer from stress-related problems.
- According to Statistics Canada (2010), the cost of employee absence in Canada due to bullying and harassment is estimated to be $12 billion a year
As a whole, workplace harassment and bullying poisons relationships and the work environment, and the consequences may include distress in the workplace, increase in the rates of illness and injuries, relational distrust and dysfunction, drop in productivity, legal implications, costly resolution efforts, and the loss of valuable employees.
Associates that can help:
Harassment & Bullying, Leadership Assessment & Development, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Work Relationships & Interpersonal Competencies, Workplace Investigations
Dr. Hendriatta Wong
Discrimination & Human Rights, Diversity & Inclusiveness, Harassment & Bullying, Inter-cultural Competency, Leadership Assessment & Development, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Small Business HR Challenges
Critical Incident Response, Diversity & Inclusiveness, Grief and Loss, Harassment & Bullying, Leadership Assessment & Development, Workplace Mental Health Assessment & Wellness, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Trauma & PTSD, Work Readiness/Return-to-Work Assessment, Work Relationships & Interpersonal Competencies
Business Operations & Processes, Diversity & Inclusiveness, Harassment & Bullying, Leadership Assessment & Development, Small Business HR Challenges, Work Performance, Work Relationships & Interpersonal Competencies, Workplace Investigations
Crisis Intervention, Critical Incident Response, Depression & Anxiety, Dysfunctional Conflict Mediation & Intervention, Grief and Loss, Mediation & Arbitration, Workplace Mental Health Assessment & Wellness, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Trauma & PTSD
Depression & Anxiety, Diversity & Inclusiveness, Gender Wellness & Issues, Grief and Loss, Harassment & Bullying, Workplace Mental Health Assessment & Wellness, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Sexual Orientation & Issues, Trauma & PTSD, Work Readiness/Return-to-Work Assessment, Work Relationships & Interpersonal Competencies
Career Assessment & Development, Depression & Anxiety, Dysfunctional Conflict Mediation & Intervention, Family Business Difficulties & Conflicts, Harassment & Bullying, Leadership Assessment & Development, Mediation & Arbitration, Psychological Safety & Injuries, Work Performance, Work Readiness/Return-to-Work Assessment, Work Relationships & Interpersonal Competencies
Depression & Anxiety, Grief and Loss, Substance & Alcohol Dependency, Trauma & PTSD