Dysfunctional Conflict and Performance Deterioration
Dysfunctional conflicts and performance difficulties can be present at all levels of the organization. Differences or incompatibilities in goals, expectations, and values, resulting in conflict among team members is quite a common occurrence. When properly managed and exercised in a healthy, safe, and respectful manner, it can generate new/different ideas or solutions, expose organizational inefficiencies and flaws, highlight challenges and bad practices as well as encourage accountability and change. Collectively, these can lead to better ways of doing things.
Conflict can, however, become dysfunctional when it alienates people and gets in the way of creativity and productivity. Such may develop when there is an abuse of power, lack of leadership, poor or unprofessional communication, lack of clarity in roles and responsibilities, competing interest and ambitions, emphasis on winning or being right, response based mainly on emotion and unsubstantiated assumptions, focus on someone to blame, and/or some other issues. Dysfunctional conflict can in turn cause a disruption or deterioration in performance and effectiveness of not only those directly involved in the conflict but also the observers and bystanders of the conflict.
Under-performance or performance deterioration can also be the effect of other factors aside from dysfunctional conflict. These may include physical and/or psychological health challenges, issues with the work environment, unclear performance expectations, lack of competency and/or capacity, lack of motivation and engagement, and/or other personal or work concerns. Performance challenges can come in various forms including failure to fulfill performance standards, non-compliance with work policies or procedures, and/or negative or disruptive behaviors that impact their work, work environment or co-workers.
Failure to effectively address dysfunctional conflicts and performance-impacting concerns, especially at the management level, can result in costly and detrimental consequences including employee disengagement, more significant deterioration in productivity, low morale, increased rates of illness and injuries, and/or higher rate of turnover.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU:
- Corporate Training and Coaching
- Problem/Case Consultation, Intervention, and Containment
- Intervention, Recovery, and Support for Affected Parties
- Employee Discipline, Termination, and Outplacement
OUR PEOPLE, YOUR ADVANTAGE: Our associates and therapists in this domain have significant experience helping individuals to recognize and address issues that affect their ability to function and perform optimally in and out of work as well as their ability to engage in respectful and healthy communication and interactions.
Let us help and support you. For additional details of our services, click on the following or contact us today.
We can help to enhance managers’ and employees’ understanding and skills to not only recognize and avoid dysfunctional conflicts but also to engage in productive and inclusive team/inter-personal interactions as well as to work through performance-impacting issues and concerns.
We provide custom, half-day, full-day or multi-day workshops, presentations, as well as 45 to 60-minute Lunch and Learn sessions on the following subjects. Sessions can be facilitated at a worksite, off site or at our Insight South Edmonton Service Centre:
- Team Building
- Enhancing Emotional Intelligence
- Influence of Personality Traits and Tendencies on One’s Interpersonal Needs and Behaviours
- Influence of Personality Traits and Tendencies on One’s Management Decisions and Behaviours
- Boundaries and Assertiveness
- Navigating Workplace Relationships
- Effective Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Dealing with Difficult and Sensitive Work Relationships
- Addressing and Preventing Workplace Harassment and Bullying
- Addressing Diversity, Inclusion and Discrimination Issues in the Workplace
- Gaining Cross-cultural Competency
- Employee Performance Management – Inhibitors and Drivers
- CUSTOMIZED TOPIC: Insight can work with you to develop a learning topic and session that fits your needs
We also provide one-on-one and small team coaching to management and frontline personnel. Coaching sessions are intended to equip individuals and teams with knowledge and skills to understand and address following:
- Dysfunctional conflict
- Tactics and behaviours of dysfunctional conflict.
- Dynamics, motivations, risks and broader impact of dysfunctional conflict.
- Strategies and approaches to guard against, avoid, and deal with dysfunctional conflict as well as to effectively generate productive team/inter-personal integrations.
- Strategies and approaches to engage in respectful and healthy communication and interpersonal interactions.
- Response and provisions to support the repair, recovery, and restoration of individuals who have experienced trauma, anxiety, or other adverse effects of dysfunctional conflict.
- Employee performance management
- Spotting and addressing early indications of performance concerns.
- Need for assessment of performance-impacting barriers and preparation for accommodation.
- Performance monitoring and development, recovery, or termination.
- Response and provisions to support the repair, recovery, and restoration of individuals with psychical, psychological, or cognitive barriers and challenges to performance.
Should you have executive officers, managers, front line employees or team members who are experiencing any of the following concerns, prompt action can and should be taken to prevent further deterioration, dysfunction, or disruption:
- Failure to meet reasonable performance standards or a deterioration in performance.
- Exposure or engagement in dysfunctional conflicts that are affecting their performance, relationships, other employees, or the work atmosphere.
- Engagement in behaviour and conduct that puts themselves, others, and/or the organization at risk and in harm’s way.
We can assist you in assessing the extent, risk, and impact of the concern/crisis as well as in determining the best course of actions to mitigate the situation, address the problem, and ensure that those impacted get the intervention and support they need. This includes identifying areas of support that can be provided by the employer to effectively assist the employee or team in addressing their performance or conflict issues.
For individuals experiencing performance issues, we can provide applicable assessment, therapeutic intervention as well as other appropriate repair, recovery, and development support they may need to:
- Address developmental, personal, medical (through our medical partners) and/or deeper psychological issues such as trauma, stress, anxiety, and depression that may be affecting their ability to concentrate, function, learn, interact, or remain productive and effective at work.
- Develop abilities, competencies, and strategies to improve their performance.
For individuals experiencing dysfunctional conflicts, we can provide applicable assessment, therapeutic intervention as well as other appropriate repair, recovery, and development support they may need to:
- Address deeper psychological issues and/or other developmental, personal, medical (through our medical partners) and inter-personal issues that may be affecting their social interactions and relationships.
- Develop skills, strategies, and competencies to handle conflicts, manage one’s own responses to conflicts as well as to improve inter-personal interactions.
Discipline: Under warranted circumstances, an employer may choose to pursue disciplinary and other corrective actions to address issues of unsatisfactory performance or destructive behaviours/conducts. In such circumstances, we can assist you in reviewing the situation and ensuring the presence of:
- Proper documentations,
- Feedback and efforts to rectify the concerns prior to the pursuit of disciplinary action,
- Proper preparations for the disciplinary process, and
- Effective follow-up activities and timelines, including resolution and closure of the case.
Proper documentation and diligent preparation to facilitate a fair and effective disciplinary action would be essential in ensuring that an employer’s decisions and actions: 1) can stand against legal or other form of scrutiny and 2) provide reasonable opportunities and means for the employee to rectify the concerns.
Termination: When disciplinary and corrective actions fail to bring about a satisfactory outcome, an employer may consider if and when to terminate an employee. In such circumstances, we can assist you in reviewing the situation and considering options that would include but not limited to termination. Should termination be your final decision, we can assist you in:
- Determining severance and/or notice where applicable,
- Arranging for legal counsel where appropriate to do so,
- Preparing the termination notice or letter, release as well as check-list of items and actions to be completed,
- Supporting you and/or your designated personnel before and during the termination meeting, and
- Debriefing after the termination.
Outplacement: An employer may choose to provide outplacement services to support a terminated employee in their transition. Such services can be tailored and can include:
- Appropriate repair, recovery, and restoration support to deal with the psychological impact of the termination and any other preceding issues,
- Life/Career transition counselling,
- Assessment of one’s goals and vocational aptitude,
- Development of a transition plan,
- Job search preparation and assistance, and
- Other applicable services.
Ultimately, the aim is to support you, the employer, in facilitating a fair, considerate, and dignified exit for the employee. Ensuring that the employee leaves feeling that they have been 1) treated with fairness, consideration, dignity, and 2) provided with proper support to deal with the termination and to transition into a new beginning, is important not only for a satisfactory closure of the case but for mitigating the risk of the termination being legally deemed as improper and wrongful.
Associates that can help:
Harassment and Bullying, Leadership Development, Psychological Safety, Work Relationships, Workplace Investigations, Workplace Violence
Critical Incident Response, Grief and Loss, Harassment and Abuse, Leadership Development, Not-for-profit Management, Psychological Safety, Small Business Management, Work Performance
Critical Incident Response, Grief and Loss, Harassment and Abuse, Mental health issues, PTSD, Psychological Safety, Work Relationships, Workplace Wellness