Discrimination, Harassment, and Bullying
Questions for Your Consideration:
- Ensuring that Your Policies and Practices are in compliance with Updated OH&S Legislation: Have you established policies, programs, and practices that would effectively address the 2017-18 changes in OH&S legislation?
- Addressing Discrimination and Harassment Concerns: Have you noticed or been made aware of concerns with discriminatory behaviours or subtle/obvious bullying in your workplace?
- Dealing with a Complaint: Are you trying to effectively deal with an employee concern or complaint of discrimination and/or harassment?
- Creating Supportive Work Teams: Do you want to educate your employees on how to be supportive and respectful of a co-worker who is undergoing gender transition?
- Creating an Inclusive Workplace:Do you want to create an inclusive workplace and ensure that your policies and practices are not directly or indirectly discriminatory?
- Generating Employee Awareness: Would you like to coordinate a discrimination and harassment awareness workshop for your next management retreat or employee training session?
If you answer YES to any of the above, we can help you!
Discrimination and harassment (which includes bullying) in the workplace are demeaning practices that can detrimentally affect the dignity, self-respect, and psychological wellness of the victim(s) as well as cause adverse work-related or health and safety consequences for the individual(s). More broadly, discrimination and harassment poisons relationships and the work environment, and the consequences may include low morale, drop in productivity, increase in the rates of illness and injuries, legal implications, costly resolution efforts, and the loss of valuable employees.
Insight’s human rights associates and therapists have significant experience and expertise in their field and can support you in:
- Addressing concerns of discrimination and harassment in the workplace.
- Reviewing and investigating a harassment or discrimination complaint.
- Increasing awareness among employees on the issues and prevention of discrimination and harassment.
- Supporting all employees who have been directly or indirectly affected by discrimination and harassment.
- Building a psychologically safe and healthy work environment.
As well, Insight maintains an active roster of highly experienced employment and human rights lawyers who can provide legal assistance to you when needed.
Let us help and support you. Read about the services we offer below and contact us today.
Insight Corporate Care partners with Alberta Bullying Research, Resources and Recovery Centre to provide custom, half-day, full-day or multi-day workshops, presentations, as well as 45 to 60 minute Lunch and Learn sessions in the following subject areas. Sessions can be facilitated at a worksite, off site or at our Insight South Edmonton Service Centre:
- Understanding, Addressing, and Preventing Bullying in the Workplace
- Understanding, Addressing, and Preventing Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace
- CUSTOMIZED TOPIC related to Adult or Workplace Bullying, Discrimination and Harassment
Our associates and therapists with expertise in the following subjects can also provide custom, half-day, full-day or multi-day workshops, presentations, as well as 45 to 60 minute Lunch and Learn sessions. Sessions can be facilitated at a worksite, off site or at our Insight South Edmonton Service Centre:
- Human Rights Consideration in Job interview and Candidate Selection
- Human Rights Consideration in Employee Performance Management, Feedback, and Disciplinary Actions
- Human and Safety Rights: Working with Employees and Co-workers with Developmental Disabilities
- Human and Safety Rights: Working with Employees and Co-workers Undergoing Gender Transition
- Human and Safety Rights: Working with LGBTQ+ Employees and Co-workers
- Your Human and Safety rights: Gender Transition – Educating Your Supervisors and Co-workers
- Your Human and Safety Rights: LGBTQ+ – Educating Your Supervisors and Co-workers
- Your Human and Safety Rights: Developmental Disabilities – Educating Your supervisors and Co-workers
- Gaining cross-cultural awareness and competency
- CUSTOMIZED TOPIC: Insight can work with you to develop a learning topic and session that best fits your needs
Should you observe or be made aware of concerns with harassment, abuse, bullying, and/or discrimination with employees, customers, or other stakeholders, prompt action can and should be taken to ensure that the concern is addressed and not escalate further.
Our associates can assist you in:
- Reviewing the concerns and determining the best course of follow-up actions to mitigate the situation and address the concerns.
- Designing and putting in place components of the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (“the Standard”) to identify and address psychological risks and harm associated with harassment, abuse, bullying, discrimination, and/or other form of toxicity in their workplace
- Establishing policies and programs that promote inclusive and respectful work behaviours.
Learn more about our psychological health and safety audit and system development services.
Should an employee be concerned with, has encountered, or be accused of harassment or discrimination in their workplace, our associates can work with the individual to:
- Establish facts, information, and documentation of the incidents,
- Explore options and clarify steps for follow-actions,
- Acquire legal or other support where appropriate.
For an individual who has experienced harassment (which includes bullying), abuse, or discrimination, our therapists can further support the individual in:
- Addressing any psychological or emotional effects of the harassment, abuse or discrimination.
- Building capacity to effectively deal with potential future incidents of harassment, abuse or discrimination.
For an individual who has been accused of harassment (which includes bullying), abuse, or discrimination, our therapists can further support the individual in:
- Addressing any psychological or emotional effects of their experience with the case and other related issues.
- Examining and addressing personal factors that may contribute to perceived or actual harassment, abuse, or discrimination.
- Building awareness and capacity to effectively prevent personal situations of perceived or actual harassment, abuse, or discrimination.
Our seasoned investigators have extensive experience and expertise in workplace (and other) investigations, including specialization in the investigation of discrimination and harassment cases. They can assist employers in reviewing and properly investigating a harassment or discrimination complaint.
Bringing in a seasoned external investigator to assist in the investigation of any harassment or discrimination case can provide an increased degree of objectivity and credibility to the investigation. Employees would also be further assured of their organization and managers’ intention to investigate and address their complaint in a professional and unbiased manner.
Our associates can assist employers in evaluating as well as upgrading their existing policies, procedures, and practices to ensure:
- Compliance with relevant legislation.
- Controls and provisions in place to prevent direct and indirect discrimination in organizational practices.
- Controls and provisions in place to address and prevent workplace harassment and abuse.
- Clarity of roles and responsibilities.
- Appropriate risk assessment and management.
- Means for prompt and open communication, feedback, and follow-up.
- Robust complaint investigation and resolution process.
- Inclusion and psychological safety in work environment, workplace relationships, employee management, communication, and key human resource functions.
- The presence of impact and effectiveness measures.
Such policies and procedures could cover the functions of general supervision, communication, recruitment and selection, performance management, benefits and provisions, occupational health and safety, worker’s compensation provisions, complaint resolution, discipline and termination, and various aspects of employee relations.
Associates that can help:
Communications, Harassment and Bullying, Mental health issues, Psychological Safety, Trauma, Work Relationships, Workplace Wellness
Harassment and Bullying, Leadership Development, Psychological Safety, Work Relationships, Workplace Investigations, Workplace Violence
Cross-cultural Competency, Discrimination and Harassment, Human Resources, Management Development, Psychological Safety, Small Business Management
Critical Incident Response, Grief and Loss, Harassment and Abuse, Mental health issues, PTSD, Psychological Safety, Work Relationships, Workplace Wellness
Critical Incident Response, Grief and Loss, Harassment and Abuse, Leadership Development, Not-for-profit Management, Psychological Safety, Small Business Management, Work Performance