Cross-cultural Competency and Integration
Questions for Your Consideration:
- Culturally Diverse Work Team: Do you have a culturally diverse work team and want to ensure that your employees have a better understanding of how cultural diversity may affect various aspects of their work decisions, actions, communication and interactions with one another?
- Doing Business or Working Abroad: Are you and your team planning to do business or work with counterparts in a foreign country and you want to ensure that your team members are culturally well-informed, well-prepared, and well-supported to do business or work there?
- Integrating Your New Immigrant Employee: Do you want to help a new immigrant employee work, manage, and integrate effectively into our local community and business/work setting?
- Employee Development: Are you thinking of coordinating a general or country-specific cross-cultural awareness workshop for your next employee retreat or training session?
If you answer YES to any of the above, we can help you!
With the growing diversity and mobility of today’s workforce as well as with advance technology that enables instant connectivity to co-workers and customers in almost any corner of the world, cross-cultural challenges and opportunities exist not only for international/global organizations with operations in multiple countries but very much also for local organizations.
Culture and cultural issues can have significant and lasting effects on many aspects of doing business, managing employees, and integrating into a new community. Culture shapes our views, assumptions, and approaches toward:
- gender distinctions and roles
- communication with others
- dealing with uncertainties and conflicts
- decision making
- management and leadership
- hierarchy and power differences
- emotional and physical expressions
- time and order
- learning and motivation
- many other aspects of work and life
Not having adequate awareness, understanding, and competency to effectively manage, adapt, include, and navigate through the different viewpoints, values, and approaches to other cultures could directly undermine your efforts to:
- harvest the creativity and innovation that could come from such diversity,
- secure productive joint ventures and business opportunities in a foreign market, or
- prepare yourself or others to successfully integrate into their new work setting and team in a different country or domestically.
Insight’s cross-cultural associates are professionals who have directly lived, worked professionally, conducted business, maintained active business relationships and/or managed workforces in other countries as well as in Canada. Aside from personal experience, they are also trained and well-versed in the dimensions and frameworks of cross-cultural management. Our associates can help you to increase your employees’ cross-cultural awareness, understanding, and competency. They can also prepare and support employees in their actual integration into a new community and cultural setting.
Let us help and support you. Read about the services we offer below and contact us today.
Custom, half-day, full-day or multi-day workshops and presentations are delivered by Insight’s cross-cultural associates with expertise, experience, and working knowledge in different subject areas. Sessions on the following subjects can be facilitated at a worksite, off site or at our Insight South Edmonton Service Centre:
- Understanding Cultural Dimensions and Their Impact on Business and Work interactions
- Understanding Cultural Dimensions and Their Impact on Organizational Management
- Communicating Across Cultures
- Cross-cultural Negotiations and Conflict Resolution
- Managing a Diverse Work Team
- Working and Living in Canada
- Preparing to in China
- Preparing to Do Business or Work With Personnel in Korea
- Preparing to Do Business or Work With Personnel in Japan
- Preparing to Do Business or Work With Personnel in India
- Preparing to Do Business or Work With Personnel in Malaysia
Preparation to Integrate into a New Culture: For an employee who is planning or has been assigned to do business or work in China, Korea, Japan, India, and Malaysia, our cross-cultural associates can support them as well as their family members in preparing for their integration into their new environment, culture, and customs.
On-location Integration Support: For an employee or their family members who may encounter concerns or need further support while on location, our associates can continue to support them via our secure online video coaching/counselling system or other technological means.
Repatriation Support: For an employee who will be returning to Canada upon the conclusion of a long assignment overseas, our associates can support them as well as their family members in their repatriation process.
New Immigrant Support: For an employee who will be coming to Canada or has newly arrived in Canada, our cross-cultural associates can support them in preparing for their integration into their new work and life in Canada. Our associates can also continue to support employees who may need further assistance once they are in Canada.
Emotional and Relational Support: Some employees and/or their family members may experience adverse physical, emotional, relational, or psychological impact in their efforts to deal with the change and transition. Our therapists can support them in addressing the emotional, relational, and psychological challenges and effects at any time during the pre-departure, on location, and repatriation phases.
Associates that can help:
Cross-cultural Competency, Discrimination and Harassment, Human Resources, Management Development, Psychological Safety, Small Business Management
Business Development, Business Processes, Cross-cultural Competency, Leadership Development, Small Business Management, Work Performance, Work Relationships
Business Development, Communications, Cross-cultural Competency, Management Development, Small Business Management, Strategic Planning, Work Relationships